Thursday, November 19, 2015

Chuck Close - "Alex II" 1989

This was done with oil on canvas. I chose this one because it is zoomed in and you can see the colors individually on the right image, as opposed to the left image, where you do not see the colors as vibrantly. The left image looks more like the tones of a human but he still captures that richness in color. By looking at the two images together you can see that he used a grid as his method. At first I did not really like his style but then I read about some things that are motivations for him. I read that he has trouble remember faces, so capturing them in portraits is his way reinforcing the images into his memory. One reason I like art in general is because it is expressive and personal. Now that I undertsand the art work of Chuck Close I have begun to like it more.
 
http://www.artyfactory.com/art_appreciation/portraits/chuck_close.html

No comments:

Post a Comment